Friday, May 1, 2009

The Journey ...



So now, the journey really begins …

It has been a long time since I have posted to this blog. There was the first obligatory post and then a sermon, followed by dormancy. I write every week out of necessity. Well, that is not really true; I write every week out of a calling. It is a calling about which I still feel passion, however, it is a calling which has burned me out. I have found it difficult to find time for personal reflective writing or journaling, it is called.

When I began this blog, I was feeling as though the voice within me had been lost. That voice is personal and hopefully, authentic. Somehow, along my journey authenticity had been lost, and at times, taken away from me. I wonder, did someone take it from me or did I allow it to be taken? Perhaps, the answer lies not in the “either/or” but somewhere in between. I have always been covetous of those who observe the spiritual discipline of journaling and in the coming months, I plan to use this location as one place of spiritual practice.

Today is May 1, 2009; the beginning of a 3 month sabbatical from my vocational ministry. It is not, however a sabbatical from the spiritual life. In fact, these 90 days will be an attempt to reconnect spiritually; an attempt to rediscover my own voice – a journey of rediscovering personal authenticity.

The journey began with a trip to the optometrist office. This was not a planned stop along the way. It seems when you inadvertently attempt to insert a torn contact lens into your eye, you run the risk of scratching your cornea. Who knew? Along the way however, my journey will take me to places like the Greensboro Coliseum, a monastery in Conyers, a camp in Gordon, an island called Andros, and a hotel in Indianapolis. I imagine there will be a golf course or two thrown in for good measure – after all – God loves golf. The journey will take me many other places, I am certain, yet I have not idea when the journey will conclude or if it will. I remain open however, to wherever it might lead.

My traveling partners will of course include my wife and children; but will also include a host of other characters and participants – a colorful cast to include the names Springsteen, Craddock, Campbell (Will and not so much Alexander or Thomas), Lamott, Nouwen, Norris and Willimon. These are familiar friends along my travels to this point but who deserve an encore appearance. Brooks and Roney will pop in for the ride from time to time and I look forward to the collaborative efforts with these two. Also joining me will be Rumi, Bondi, Merton, Bonhoeffer, Armstrong, Silverstein, and Palmer. (see picture of my travelling partners scattered about our living room floor).I look forward to discovering their insights fresh and anew.

I have chosen to begin my journey with the master of the travel narrative – Mark Twain and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I think I read this for the first time when I was in fourth grade. Great example of story-telling, it is (Yoda voice)– from both the oral and written perspective!

That, by the way, is the whole purpose of voice finding and authenticity – discovering how to tell and share your own story!

So, let the journey begin! I covet your prayers, traveling mercies, and even participation.

No comments: