Monday, June 29, 2009

Worshipping on the Island of Misfit Toys



One of my biggest hopes during this time of sabbatical has been to worship with different congregations, with different people, and in different traditions and ways. To this end, I have been successful. Worship for me takes on a variety of forms, not just the customary Sunday morning, 11 am time of sitting in the pew and going through the liturgical rites. Thus far, my journey has taken me several places.

Of course, I began this journey with 19,000 others worshipping at the feet of “The Boss” in Greensboro; I have communed and worshipped in nature while on a solo camping trip; and I had the pleasure to worship one Sunday morning on the golf course of the Athens Country Club. People find the Sacred and Holy in many forms and ways – that sense of Presence, Calm, and Awe. It can be hard to explain, but an experience to be had.

Of course, I have spent the Sunday morning hour in more traditional worship settings as well. I have sat in a cathedral church listening to the sounds of pipe organ and strings as a soprano voice filled the stained glass sanctuary to its heights. I have sat in the air conditioning of a camp dining hall turned sanctuary as children presided at the Lord’s Table, extending God’s invitation to a great Love Feast consisting of Rice Krispee treats and apple juice in sign language. I have worshipped with my wife and children present – once as my wife preached a beautiful sermon. Today however was something different altogether; today I worshipped on “the Island of Misfit Toys” … and it was GOOD …

You remember the old “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” show from 1964, don’t you? There is not a single American child (other than perhaps an Amish child) born in the last 45 years who has not seen this classic. It is to the Island of Misfit Toys Rudolph and his traveling companion Hermey (the dentist wannabe) find themselves on Christmas Eve. The island is filled with toys no children want, so they are forever banished (or so we think … don’t want to give away too much, less there be some Amish kids reading this) to the dreadful island.


This morning I dropped the wife and kids off at her church and traveled up the road about 10 minutes to the Virginia Highland area of Atlanta to visit a congregation I have been wanting to check out for almost a year - a United Church of Christ/Baptist Alliance congregation. They are small – progressive in theology – open and affirming – and currently being served by an openly gay interim pastor.

Virginia Highland is a very happening place at 9:30 on a Sunday morning, but not in the “getting ready to head to church” kind of way; more like the “bagel, coffee, and New York Times reading” kind of busy.

I entered the gorgeous worship space and was immediately welcomed by the Spirit within. I was an hour and a half early for worship, so I was afforded the pleasure of sitting in silence within a true sanctuary until greeted by the organist and choir director. As more and more people entered, the more welcomed I was made to feel. I was a stranger – someone just off the street – and I was made to feel at home. “How did you hear about us?” was the most often asked question. I explained my connection to the DOC church, my sabbatical period and my desire to worship in different places and ways. How marvelous it was.

Worship began at 11 am sharp. The service was highly liturgical in nature – “just pretend you are Episcopalian for an hour” was the advice the Associate Minister offered when she greeted me. I was one of about 55 people present, including the 3 children I saw – and if I had to guess (without trying to stereotype) I would say 65% of those present were gay.

There were 2 elderly women in the pews in front of me. I am guessing they have been a part of this congregation is its past incarnation, whatever that might have been, and have chosen to remain a part of the church, regardless of its vision and purpose. To my right sat a young woman in her early twenties. If I had to guess, she too was a first time visitor. She looked shy and uncertain, but did choose to engage herself in the liturgy. I did notice she was quick to leave following the service.

Worship was an interesting mix – reflective of the diversity of those gathered and our various places along our faith journey. In the mix of the high church liturgy and the real wine used for communion was the piano prelude calling us to worship – an homage to the late Michael Jackson. Some would find that out or place or irreverent in a place of worship, but somehow it fit beautifully, tastefully, and faithfully.

Here is the thing: on more than one occasion, the minister referenced the diverse church traditions represented by those attending worship this morning. He himself acknowledged growing up as a fundamentalist Christian. This, from what I understand, is not uncommon in congregations in which a larger percentage of its worshipping members are gay, lesbian, or trans-gendered. Children of God, created in God’s own image and likeness, in some cases choose and in other cases are forced to leave the faith tradition of their upbringing because of sexual orientation. Fear, judgment, ridicule, violence, hatred, rejection … in the name of God, ironically, leads to banishment to the Island of Misfit Toys.

A dear friend and muse of mine has been writing a good bit on the topic of “Sanctuary” as it relates to where her own faith journey currently finds itself. For her, and in the traditional sense, a sanctuary is called to be a place not only of worship but also of safety. I would argue (and in fact, have) that in order to be the former, it must FIRST be the latter.

As I experience worship in its entirety this morning, I found myself filled with mixed emotions. I was angry. I was angry for the NEED for a church like the one in Virginia Highland to exist. No person, regardless of color, age, height, weight, disability, or sexual orientation, should ever be made to feel they are not welcomed in a church simply because of who they have been created to be by a loving and merciful creator. In some ways, this church exists today because of the hatred, intolerance, and ignorance of others who dare claim the name of Christ as their Lord and Savior. That pisses me off.

At the same time, I was moved to great joy BECAUSE this congregation exists. Please do not misunderstand – this little church is not “a gay church” nor do I think they desire that as their identity. Rather, they are a Church – a part of Christ’s body – whose make up includes gays and lesbians. How wonderful it is this small church in Virginia Highland DOES exist to give witness to a loving and caring God and to offer a true sanctuary not just for those present today, but for all who have felt rejected and cast aside by church or who want to live a life as modeled by Jesus himself

I am filled with great joy to know places like this exist and with the guidance of the Spirit, this Church will continue to grow in wisdom and in faithfulness. Indeed, I worshipped today on the Island of Misfit Toys … and it was GOOD! So good, I hope to return (just like Rudolph and Hermey did in the 2001 sequel).

I wonder about the young lady sitting in the pew to my right. She seemed so timid. I wonder if she had been abused at some time by the church. She sat there like a pet who had been beaten and was just waiting for the next swat of the newspaper. I wonder if she sat in that pew, based on her previous experience, waiting for the other shoe to drop – expecting the next word to be spoken to be one of hurt rather than one of comfort and affirmation.

As I turned the corner to walk back to my car, she was ahead of me by about 30 yards on the sidewalk. I saw her turn out of site, not sure if she lived in the neighborhood of if she was going back to her car. I hope she found sanctuary this morning. I hope she enjoyed sitting among a group of misfits, including myself.

3 comments:

Matkandu said...

As a member at Virginia Highland Church, I must say you have a fantastically clear view of who we are and what we represent.
We are misfits, but our exiles were self imposed. We all searched for this light, some for years, others found it after just accidentally stepping into it. We are a very introspective group, trying very hard to build our family and church home, and we really love to have visitors to help us spread the word, that we exist, we love, and with God's grace and our efforts, we will keep growing.

Thanks for visiting and capturing a clear, dead-on "snapshot" of where we are right now.

solitary kitsch said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. What a beautiful tribute to such a congregation--focused on building and growing, and clearly not just in the numbers category. THAT is what makes sanctuary--the effort. It doesn't just happen.

And, might I point out that the Associate Minister is clearly a genius (*grin*).

Me said...

I am glad, Matkandu, my expereince and obersvations mesh with the focus and hope of VHC ... it was truly a pleasure to worship with you on Sunday. I look forward to a return visit in the very near future ...

And as for your comment kitsch, thanks and welcome back from your little jog ... and yeah, you WOULD think that!